After topping the timesheets during the practice sessions and qualifying on pole position, it looked like things were going to go well for Sebastian Vettel in the Indian Grand Prix. And that is exactly what happened with the reigning world champion taking his fourth win in a row.
Fernando Alonso, desperate to keep his championship hopes alive, managed to limit the damage done by finishing in second place, a decent result considering he climbed from fifth on the grid.
Alonso was actually able to get passed the two McLarens in front of him quite quickly, dispatching Hamilton off the line and taking Button for third a few laps later when DRS was enabled. At this stage it looked like Vettel would remain unchallenged for the win, Webber would take second place and the best the Ferrari driver could do was third.
Then he got a bit of luck as Webber started to drift off Vettel’s pace, reporting a KERS problem. This caused Alonso to pick up his pace and with ten laps to go, he slipped passed Webber and took second place. This is as far as he would go though and he couldn’t close the gap to Vettel too much, ending the race around nine seconds behind the winner.
Hamilton was also able to charge onto the back of Webber in the final laps of the race but he was unable to overtake him before the end of the race. Button finished the race in fifth place after spending plenty of time stuck behind Romain Grosjean. Felipe Massa took sixth place after fending off Kimi Raikkonen for a fair portion of the race, The Lotus had gotten passed the Ferrari after pitting one lap later but Massa immediately regaining his position with DRS.
The top ten was rounded off with Nico Hulkenberg in eighth, Grosjean in ninth and Bruno Senna in tenth place.
F1 Indian Grand Prix - results
1. Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1:31:10.744
2. Alonso Ferrari + 9.437
3. Webber Red Bull-Renault + 13.217
4. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes + 13.909
5. Button McLaren-Mercedes + 26.266
6. Massa Ferrari + 44.674
7. Raikkonen Lotus-Renault + 45.227
8. Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes + 54.998
9. Grosjean Lotus-Renault + 56.103
10. Senna Williams-Renault +1:14.975
11. Rosberg Mercedes +1:21.694
12. Di Resta Force India-Mercedes +1:22.815
13. Ricciardo Toro Rosso-Ferrari +1:26.064
14. Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari +1:26.495
15. Vergne Toro Rosso-Ferrari + 1 lap
16. Maldonado Williams-Renault + 1 lap
17. Petrov Caterham-Renault + 1 lap
18. Kovalainen Caterham-Renault + 1 lap
19. Pic Marussia-Cosworth + 1 lap
20. Glock Marussia-Cosworth + 2 laps
21. Karthikeyan HRT-Cosworth + 2 laps
22. Schumacher Mercedes + 5 laps
Next Page : Practice